The Soul of the Slobbering Hound

Whole weeks go by and the words don’t come, but bark instead from the cavernous deep of my longing, of my confusion, of my loved and lost, of my ambition and inadequacy, of my dying, of my fear, of my disgust. Barking like slobbering hounds, ungrateful for the opportunity I’ve given them to live again, to be reborn, but no. They are creatures of habit, these dogs, these thoughts, this heart of mine. It wants what it had, and only when it gets it will it start wanting everything else as well.

Tuesday

a piece of love

The sea pushes over the rocky shore and makes that sound that she loves. The old man is perched in his usual spot, playing his guitar and singing to himself in Spanish. She pulls her hoodie over her head and asks if she can sit down. He plays a few more songs then says: “Do you like my music?” “Yes, it’s beautiful.” “My wife, she screams at me... 'What is that horrible noise? Stop it, Miguel!’” By the end of his sentence he is strumming the next song. “I come here to get away. I am so hungry for a piece of love.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i just stumbled across your interesting creativity and will have to mark my place and continue another time in the near future.